Two young boys have died following a fire in their rented home, where there were no working smoke alarms, according to the Fire Service.
Logan Taylor, three, and Jake Casey, two, were rushed to hospital following the afternoon blaze at the rental property in Huddersfield. Sadly, neither of the boys could be saved.
Their mother, Emma Taylor, and older brother, Finlay, six, managed to escape the house as the fire took hold.
Deputy Chief Fire Officer Dave Walton has stressed the importance of smoke alarms, as he revealed that no working devices were found in the property.
He reports: “We can confirm that at the time of the fire, there were no working smoke alarms in the property.
“Further investigations are ongoing to determine the exact circumstances, but we urge people to always have a working smoke alarm and to test it regularly.”
He adds: “Whilst early indications are that the cause of the fire is not suspicious, investigations are ongoing and it may be some days before we have a conclusive cause of the fire.”1
It is believed that the blaze was started by an electrical fault in the front bedroom of the house.
Landlords have been legally obliged to install fire alarms on each floor of a rental property since 1st October 2015. They must ensure the devices are working at the start of each new tenancy. After this, tenants are responsible for making sure that the smoke alarms are working.
Over the next few days, fire crews will be in the area around the house offering fire safety advice and fitting smoke alarms where required.
West Yorkshire Police says that the fire appears to be a “tragic accident”, but the investigation is continuing1.
Under the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015, landlords or their letting agents must install not only smoke alarms, but carbon monoxide detectors in any room used as living accommodation where solid fuel is used.
For more information and advice on the requirement, read the Government’s guide here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/464717/150929_SC_Explan_book_Annex_A_LandlordsTenants_REVISED.pdf
Earlier today, we reported that Gas Safe Europe has created a new product, designed to help landlords and letting agents comply with the legislation. Here are the details: /new-product-to-assist-in-smoke-alarm-legislation-compliance/
Ensure that you protect your tenants by keeping up to date with the latest landlord law and regulations.